This guide will show you how to link Canada Post to Intuitive Shipping. To learn how to link other carriers, go here.
If you have an account with Canada Post, you can connect your account to Intuitive Shipping. Then, when you set up a parcel service shipping method and select Canada Post as the ‘parcel service’, you’ll have the option to use your discounted rates instead of their standard retail rates.
You can create a parcel service shipping method for Canada Post without an account. If you don’t add your Canada Post account in advance, you’ll have the opportunity to add account credentials directly from the shipping method later, if desired.
Once your account credentials have been saved in Intuitive Shipping, your account will be available to select each time you add a new parcel service shipping method with the same carrier.
Add Canada Post To Carrier Accounts List
1) Click Settings on the sidebar menu, then select Carrier accounts from the drop-down list.
2) Click Add carrier account.
3) Select Canada Post from the list of carriers.
4) Click the Configure account button.
Carrier Account Settings
1) Enter a carrier account Title, such as ‘Canada Post’.
2) Select the Status for your Canada Post account.
You have two (2) settings to choose from:
Active – when Canada Post is added to a carrier service shipping method, your account will be used when calculating live rates at checkout. This is the default setting.
Inactive – when Canada Post is added to a carrier service shipping method, your account will be ignored. Live rates will be calculated using Canada Post’s standard retail rates.
Canada Post Account
To complete this section, you’ll need your Canada Post Key Number – which contains both your username and password – along with your Customer Number.
The Key Number contains two parts, separated by a : character. The first part is your Username. The second part is your Password. When completing Step 1, be sure not to include the : colon in either field, as this will result in an authentication error.
If you don’t yet have an account with Canada Post, skip ahead to Create A Canada Post Account. Or, if you have an account but don’t know your credentials, skip ahead to Retrieve Canada Post Account Credentials.
Return to this section once you have the required information.
1) Enter your Canada Post Username and Password.
2) Enter your Customer number.
3) Click the Save button to save your account settings.
The Canada Post API provides quotes for up to 20 shipping rates per minute. If your increase request is approved, your account will be able to retrieve up to 400 shipping rates per minute.
Create A Canada Post Account
1) Open a new browser tab, then go to the Canada Post Developer Program website.
2) Click the Join NOW button to begin the account application process.
3) Click the Sign up button.
4) Click the Create business profile button.
5) Finish creating your business profile by signing up with an existing customer number or creating a new one. Make a note of your customer number, as it is required for connecting your account.
6) On the Welcome page, make a note of the Key Number that appears in the Production section of the API Keys table. The Key Number contains your username and password.
7) Return to Intuitive Shipping and begin at Step 1 of Canada Post Account.
Retrieve Canada Post Account Credentials
1) Open a new browser tab, then go to the Canada Post Developer Program website.
2) Click the Sign in button.
3) Enter your Username and Password, then click the Sign in button.
3) Find and make a note of your Customer Number in your account details.
4) Return to Intuitive Shipping and begin at Step 1 of Canada Post Account.
Each carrier has restrictions that may limit your shipping capabilities or prevent you from making certain shipments. Here are some restrictions to be aware of when using Canada Post.
- Originating address – to use Canada Post, the shipment must originate within Canada.
- Restrictions by country – each country you ship to may have its own trade and import restrictions. Not all Canada Post delivery services are available to all countries. To learn more about restrictions to specific countries, go here.
- Prohibited items – certain goods, including items considered to be illegal, may not be shipped by Canada Post under any circumstances. To learn more about prohibited items, go here.
- Controlled items – items such as tobacco and vaping products, plants and animals, and dangerous goods may be shipped if they meet certain criteria. Other items such as cannabis and pharmaceuticals may be shipped by Canada Post under strict regulations in some areas and prohibited in others. To learn more about controlled items, go here.
- Packaging restrictions – some products can only be shipped if they comply with certain packaging standards. To learn more about Canada Post’s packaging requirements for odd items, go here.
- International restrictions – customs requirements may limit what you ship, how you ship it, and how it can be returned to Canada. You may also require additional documentation and fees to complete your shipment. To learn more about meeting customs requirements, go here.
- Size & weight restrictions – all parcels and documents shipped by Canada Post must not exceed a length of 2 meters (6.5 feet), a length plus girth of 3 meters (9.8 feet), or 30 kg (66 lbs). Parcels exceeding the limits may be subject to additional fees and may be shipped only at the discretion of Canada Post. For more information about Canada Post size and weight restrictions, go here. Individual delivery services may have size limitations; for example, Small Packet services are limited to 2 kg (4.4 lbs).
In certain situations, live rates from Canada Post may not appear at checkout, or they might not be displayed as expected. You may be able to determine why rates aren’t being displayed correctly by reviewing the rate calculation Activity.
1) Click Activity on the main menu.
2) Select ‘Unsuccessful requests only‘ from the Filter by request status drop-down list. This will list only Activities where rates were not returned.
3) Click View beside any ‘unsuccessful’ Activity.
4) In the Details section, click View log beside Warnings and errors, if available.
5) Review the warnings for Canada Post delivery services.
Here are some of the more common reasons why your Canada Post live rates may not be appearing at checkout.
Setup & Test Mode
While you are in Setup & Test mode, live rates will only appear at checkout when the customer name contains ‘Intuitive’, even when the Scenario status is set to ‘Everyone’. To make your rates available to customers, you will need to activate your account and begin your 14-Day FREE Trial.
If Canada Post rates are not appearing, it may be because the Scenario Status is set to either Off (not visible to anyone) or Test (only visible when the customer name contains ‘Intuitive’).
Shipping Method Status
If Canada Post rates are not appearing, it may be because a shipping method’s Visibility is set to either Off (not visible to anyone) or Test (only visible when the customer name contains ‘Intuitive’).
Shopify’s third-party carrier-calculated shipping rates feature must be enabled on your Shopify account in order to use any third-party shipping rate calculator app, including Intuitive Shipping.
Double-check to make sure that have entered the correct Username, Password, and Customer number, and that there are no spaces or extra/ missing characters.
Rates may not appear if suitable package sizes are not available in a carrier service shipping method. For example, when the appropriate package size is either missing completely or is set to Inactive status, the next largest size package will be used. If the larger package exceeds Canada Post’s size limitations, a rate will not be generated.
When no suitable package is available, Intuitive Shipping will attempt to create a custom package using the dimensions of the product(s) in the cart. Similarly, if the custom package exceeds Canada Post’s size limitations, a rate will not be generated.
Check to make sure that the packages in your Canada Post Shipping Method are suitable for products you’re shipping with Canada Post and that they do not exceed the size limitations.
Some Canada Post delivery services may not be available due to restrictions, such as shipment size & weight or the customer’s address. If some delivery service rates are being generated, but others are not – or, if rates from another carrier rate shipping method (e.g. FedEx) are being generated, but rates from Canada Post are not – it is most likely due to service restrictions.
Be sure to check that the selected services are compatible with the shipping address. For example, if the customer address is in the US and only domestic ‘Within Canada’ services have been selected, rates will not be displayed.
If some rates were returned at checkout, but others were not, check for Notifications related to Canada Post.
Product Dimensions & SmartBoxing™
If you are packaging with SmartBoxing™, all products must have dimensions assigned to them in Intuitive Shipping. Product dimensions determine how the SmartBoxing™ system will package the order. When product dimensions are missing, the packing process cannot be completed. Package information cannot be sent to Canada Post and the calculation fails.
While you’re in Setup & Test Mode, any changes you make to your products need to be manually synced in your General Settings. Once you have activated your account, changes to your products are synced automatically with Intuitive Shipping. However, if you make several changes to products at one time, it is possible that the auto-sync was not completed properly. When product information critical to the calculation is missing, the process fails, and package information cannot be sent to Canada Post.
If you’re using the SmartBoxing™ packing algorithm, product dimensions are required. Be sure to add dimensions to any new products recently synced with Intuitive Shipping.
If rates are returning but appear to be either too high or too low, cost adjustments may have been applied to the shipping method in the Optional Settings section. Check the Cost adjustment section of your Canada Post shipping method’s Optional Settings.
If Canada Post rates are not being displayed as expected and you are unable to resolve the issue, please contact us. We’re here to help!